Tuesday, September 11, 2007

If I don't post these I'll be crucified...

or maybe that was circumcised. I dunno. All I know is here are some pics from an afternoon of art and play, as Ricë, Sarah, Becky and I cut out some of the "things" I have mentioned earlier, so even if I'm not going to say what the things are yet, it will probably be apparent.

The following may contain brief nudity, and possibly briefs:

The start. No one is liberated from his or her white space prison, yet.













Here Ricë works on cutting one of Saint Clare's pages. Ricë would have cut out one of the male figures, but I didn't have a large, black male member...of the League or Infidels...to uh...play with. Make that "with which to play."
















Becky works on Jack's page. Jack apparently really likes Starbucks coffee frappathings. Becky likes Jack, so I think they'd get along nicely. Both are slightly out of touch with reality, in a really good way. ;)
















I would put a picture of Sarah here, but I didn't get her or her Mom's permission to post her pictures, and I'm sensitive about that, so I'll hold off for the moment. But I can't wait for said permission because I've already mentioned what will happen if these pictures aren't blogged soon.

Hammer, snip, hammer, snip.

Here are a few pictures as the afternoon progressed, and bits of cut paper, bodies and accessories were spread all over the table.

































Becky and Sarah had to leave because Becky was meeting with the Knitting Guild, a rag tag group of knitters who gather with their needles periodically and fight crime in numerous ways. There's nothing quite like a member of the Knitting Guild, needles drawn, going after a ne'er do well. I'm sure if necessary, they could repair the fabric of society David and Keith ripped apart. But then again, we're quite happy with those rips. :)

(I'm kidding, you know. They don't really fight crime. But isn't it a great visual? And as David pointed out at the Universitarian Assembly in his "lay service" (hehe) the fabric of society didn't rip. I am, of course, referring to their legal marriage in Canda.)

I digress, but I already warned you about that back in the first post.

Anyhow, after Becky and Sarah left, Ricë continued cutting and I joined her.


Here Ricë continues to cut, and I join her, but you can't see me because I was taking the picture. No, I wasn't cutting and taking the picture. I can multi task, but multi tasking with sharp objects can be dangerous.










Then a bit of wickedness ensued, as Ricë forced, forced I say, me to put some of the cut outs in poses that happened to end up like the one to the left.

She's very wicked, after all, she wants the Wicked Wiccan tattooed on her arm, so you honestly don't think I would do this on my own, do you?













As if a mask could protect the identities of anyone involved.



















So St. Clare had to come whip things into shape.














But, all silliness aside it was a productive exercise in creativity, because, I left with a number of good ideas, a number of problems to solve that would not have been readily apparent without a group dynamic (a test run if you will) and most importantly (though right now my head is swimming with too much info) 3,546 variations on the theme for present and future reference.

For now though, I have to figure out the best way to make the paper dolls (oh, I said it finally, that's what the things are) 1) with clothes on thinner paper, stands and bodies and accessories on thicker paper 2) on paper that is non smearing, bruising, archival yet retains brilliant color 3) with some sort of stands to allow maximum play. Oh and also so that accessories can be held and sometimes, whenever possible, shared.

Whew.

7 comments:

Becky said...

You have my permission to post Sarah's pic. I've posted her in my blog before.

Anonymous said...

:-) Love it, love it, LOVE it! The League and the Infidels are TOO much fun; and I have spent valuable work time musing over them! I found you via Ricë's blog and have thoroghly enjoyed my time here *alas, another blog to read, and more time not working -- how ever will I manage?!?*
Please keep up the gorgeous work! Where can one procure a Saint and/or Infidel? Curious minds MUST know ;-) Thanks!

Ricë said...

People just have to see this--it's too much fun to keep hidden away here in the bowels of your blog. Ick--that sounds horrid! Anyway, so I linked it--

Sam I Am said...

oh my goshhhh ..this is hysterical!!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

This looks like so much fun, i couldn't be more jealous, or be more in love with any paper dolls! Great stuff!!!

Anonymous said...

it is such a pleasure to know such an incredible artist. gabe, i love everything that you do.and you inspire me to create. love keith

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.