Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Post Election Observations

Well I stayed up until 4:30 last night/this morning. I had to make sure nothing was going to sneak on the radar, so that when I woke up this morning (after what was, I guess, a nap) I could hit the NYT app on my iPhone and there it would remain, the headline: President Elect Barack Obama.

It's still sinking in. There is so much mess in this country that Bush and Co. have made, it is no easy task to clean, but for now, I just want to note some of the fun stuff, and the positives. (Also I'm quite sober now, that drinking is "historic" for me, it doesn't and won't happen often.)

--Obama including all of America in his acceptance speech, but not by saying "my fellow Americans" but by listing, black, white, gay, straight, disabled, not disabled. Inclusion is the magic that happened here.

--Minority turn out making a difference. That's America!

--My nephew Paladin calling me to share the news, he was apparently transfixed by the process, with me saying "I know baby but we can't talk about it because I don't want to jinx it!" (Yeah, I was one of those superstitious lots.)

--Biggest smile of the night on my face, the wide eyed innocence of Obama's daughters, Sasha and Malia (what beautiful names!) and especially the moment when he said "you have earned the puppy that's coming with us to the White House." I wonder what doggie will get to go? I'd say a standard poodle, but I'm biased that way. A rescued dog would be awesome, though. Or maybe Ted Kennedy will offer a Portugese Water Dog pup, those are also some beauties.

--Carol Keaton Rylander Strahorn, or whatever her name is now, pretty much gushing about Obama; this is Texas folks, but wasn't totally in the tank for McCain as the numbers bear out. In fact, if you look county by county, there's a blue invasion from the South and West, with a creamy Austin Blue center, and I think Dallas was blue or close to it. That's not unusual, but if you pair it with the large Hispanic turnout, and see where that went, there could be a promising pattern.

--The picture that will inevitably be painted in the media of Bush hosting the Obama family at the White House, where the Obamas can really start measuring the drapes.

--I probably should have bought some stock in paper shredders last night. Anyone else wonder if the Repugs might be a little jittery on that front? They've had no oversight for so long, the blank check of the Bush executive branch is over!

--Oprah in the sea of people last night. Not because it's Oprah, but because in that setting, she was just one of the people, one vote. That's the beauty of Democracy. I thought it a potent reminder of the power of the people together, not just one.

--I thought McCain's speech was gracious, save for the touting of Sarah Palin, which perhaps was deemed necessary to keep some hope alive, but that's not exactly the brightest beacon on the horizon I'd think, but ask the masked avengers (giggle). If we talk about shattering the glass ceiling, can I be honest and say that Ms. Palin seemed to hold more positions that indicated a caulking effect on those cracks. Maverick!

--Uh, I got off track on the last question, McCain's speech was gracious, so my question there is where was that man during the campaign? Is that the McCain people say is the real one? Or is the overly plump Nosferatu bloodsucker the real one?

--The Clintons. Maybe they did their part without media attention, I don't know, but they never seemed to have much enthusiasm. They are not royalty, and nothing should ever be considered as an inheritance in the United States. Hillary is brilliant, but she didn't run a brilliant campaign. I don't know if they would have thought to make an H app for the iPhone.

--Speaking of...what do I get to replace the O app? I'm going to miss seeing that...or will they keep it updated with post election stuff?

--Talking to my Mom today...during the Bush administration, my Mom's been putting the flag stamp upside down as a small protest. She told me today she mailed the taxes and turned the flag right side up! I thought that was beautiful, you know, because it is patriotic to pay taxes and now we can be proud of a huge milestone in American history, and the end of a millstone around the neck of American history. So her act was small but beautiful protest, but now is no longer needed. She also put up the battery of flags outside the house.

Alright, undoubtedly I'll muse on this stuff later, but for now, I think we're going to do some celebrating. Maybe I'll buy some star spangled underwear.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I got an email from my uncle this morning. It was simple & perfect... it read:

I am in the Taipei airport on the way back to a new America.

I still can't believe the news but am thrilled.

Hugs,

Uncle Ebb