Monday, November 24, 2008

Back in Midland for Thanksgiving

I haven't posted much lately, just poodle speculation and such. Things have been good if busy here. David makes me get outside of my shell and shelter, so it's good. I've probably seen more movies in the past month than the past couple of years. Keith was down a couple of weekends ago and we saw Dame Edna, which was hilarious. And we've definitely been sampling a lot of new restaurants, and in fact went to Kenobi's today for some Asian food and it was delicious. Didn't have sushi...I guess that's such a mood thing for me, I'm not always up to it.

As stated above I'm headed to Midland for Thanksgiving. It's our major holiday, since being Church of Christy as a kid we didn't do Christmas (it was a Catholic Holiday, Christ's Mass, Jesus wasn't born on that date, the tree was idolatry, etc., etc.). And though we recovered from that business, we're not that big on Christmas even now, mostly still, as a matter of habit (and overindulgence on the first one we had post C of C, and my five years of retail service for the season).

We still do stuff for the kids, and I did throw that legendary Christmas Cookie and Zabaglione Semifreddo party (was it two years ago?) when I was the Christmas Magic Man. The theme of course: "Hard Candy Christmas" which was just to say, buck up, push on through and make yourself happy. Interestingly enough, it worked.

I can't even remember if it's two or three or more years ago that Figgie died as well, very close to Thanksgiving. He wasn't there at the table shuffling his sweet feet around for scraps (knowing anyhow that he'd get a plate later for himself). But now he's busy exploring the stars (more on that eventually) and also, ironically enough, without realizing it I posted that picture of him lobbying for a poodle close to the anniversary of his death.

We don't really have pets, we have family members who happen to be considered pets, and each of them are remembered in different ways.

YAY though, it's time for Thanksgiving, Nene's stuffing (continued by Mom's memory, thus Nene's presence at the table is also always). It's a very warm, fuzzy time for me, and I love it.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Yay! I hope we see you. I'm working everyday but Thursday of course. Blah. But maybe we can catch up Friday. Love ya!