Saturday, February 14, 2009

VDay

Because it's fun, and things are better, I thought I'd revisit last year's Valentine's Day, one of the most memorable ones on record, but of course not for the right reasons.

I had been in LA since the beginning of November. At some point there, and unbeknownst to me, a wisdom tooth had decided it was time to decay. I think it was later in December that I noticed a pain, nagging but not sharp. Advil every once in a while made it go away. But by February, I was in single dose, every prescribed period of time, Advil taking mode most of the day. Eventually it was getting worse, I realized it had to be a problem without self resolution despite my resolute self, so I made the decision to drive back to Midland and see what was up. I drove back to be around family, in case I needed a ride and such, as unfortunately Benny, great friend that he was (I miss that guy!) couldn't drive me around, or make soup for me.

Anyhow, long drive back to Midland and a dentist appointment later...one look in my mouth "oh that wisdom tooth is decaying, you'll have to have it extracted, but you'll have to see an oral surgeon." Yay, my exact diagnosis, I'm good! The receptionist offered to make an appointment for me with some group or oral surgeouns, but when she called me back later, this collective of oral health surgeons couldn't see me until March. Never mind that I needed to get back to LA so I could finalize the deposit to get my name on the John Baldessari house rental agreement. (Never mind also that the fates were then in motion to have all our monies almost tied up whilst John B., or his people, or both, decided it was time for them to take the house back, which was the final straw allowing me to admit how much I despised Los Angeles as a place to live.)

Continuing...never mind also that I was in pain, and it wasn't going to improve magically until March. So Mom told me to call some other places, and I found a Dr. Cummings who could see me that Thursday, which was Valentine's Day. In the schema of the universe, I guess it was actually a pretty good way to spend the day, given that it lead to a relief from pain.

Of course, from then it wouldn't be too long until I had moved back to Midland, and had the remaining wisdom teefies removed on or very close to my birthday.

Fun stuff.

Have I said how much I adore Austin, Texas?

No comments: